Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Happy 1st Birthday!

Today is Chase's 1st birthday. For me, this day is bitter sweet. I can't even begin to explain how overwhelmed I am with emotions and the memories I have from this very day last year. I was at work when the Adoption agency called just after lunch to tell me that Chase's birth mother had gone into labor and was taken to the hospital. I wanted so bad to be there, but we weren't allowed. Later that night, around 7:00, I got another call saying that we had a healthy baby boy ( 7lbs, 15oz and 21 inches long). I was so excited.

The year leading up to the adoption of Chase started with many doctor visits and failed infertility treatments. At that point there was no question that we were destined to adopt. The rest of the year consisted of a lot of paperwork, meetings, and emotions. I never thought Bill and I would get a baby. Then, one unexpected day, I received a call at work. We had been chosen to receive a baby. The birthmother's due date was only a few weeks away and she wanted to meet us in person. We met a day later and found out that she was having a boy.

The day before we were scheduled to pick Chase up from the hospital, I got call at work from the adoption agency stating that the birthmother was beginning to question her decision to give her baby up for adoption. At that point everything was on hold. We would enter into what they call the 7 day revocation. Chase would be kept by a foster family in Greensboro. During this time, the birthmother could legally change her mind about adoption. After the 7th day, whatever decision she made, would be final and legally binding. My heart stopped that day. I was hysterical, confused and completely devastated. I left work early and stayed out the next day to clear my mind. That next week, I was a nervous wreak. But, fortunately, our prayers were answered and the birthmother decided that adoption was the best thing to do. We were getting a baby!!!!

Now that a year has passed, I can't believe how much he has grown and all the new things he has learned. It truly is a miracle and a blessing to have Chase in our lives and to recall all the precious memories we have created together as a family over this past year.

Now, back to the fun stuff.

We celebrated Chase's birthday this past weekend with family and friends. Here are some pictures...








 

  



Here are the "1st birthday" pictures we had professional taken.




No comments:

Post a Comment